Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Aviano Air Base
Aviano Air Base
Search Aviano Air Base:
Search Aviano Air Base:
31st Fighter Wing
31st FW Chapel
31st FW Equal Opportunity
31st FW Inspector General
31st FW Legal Office
31st FW Public Affairs
31st FW Sexual Assault Response Coordinator
31st Operations Group
31st Maintenance Group
31st Mission Support Group
31st Medical Group
Freedom of Information
Area Defense Counsel
Special Victims' Counsel
AFN Europe - Aviano
Select a Category
Title A > Z
Title Z > A
31st Fighter Wing Leadership
Brig Gen Daniel T. Lasica
Col David S. Chase
CMSgt Edwin V. Ludwigsen
COLONEL DAVID S. CHACE
Colonel David S. Chace is the Vice Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy. Flying the only permanently assigned U.S. Air Force fighter aircraft in NATO's Southern Region, the wing conducts and supports combat air operations and maintains munitions for NATO. The wing has approximately 4,500 active-duty military members, nearly 300 U.S. civilians and 600 Italian civilian employees. The wing's mission is driven by two combat-ready F-16CM Fighting Falcon fighter squadrons.
Col. Chace earned his commission in 1994 from the U.S. Air Force Academy. His flying assignments include duties as instructor pilot, flight examiner, operations officer, and squadron level commander. He served two staff assignments working Air Force F-35 requirements, basing, development and modernization. Col. Chace is a command pilot with more than 2,200 flying hours and 330 combat hours.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science, Military Arts and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1994 – October 1995, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. November 1995 – January 1996, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, 88th Fighter Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. January 1996 – August 1996, F-16 Student, Replacement Training Unit, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. September 1996 – September 1997, F-16 Pilot, Training Officer, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
5. September 1997 – September 2000, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Standard/Evaluation Officer, Scheduler and Electronic Combat Pilot, 421st Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
6. September 2000 – February 2004, Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, Scheduler, Flight Commander, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. February 2004 – July 2006, Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, Chief Fighter Branch Standard/Evaluation, 12th Air Force, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
8. August 2006 – June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2007 – May 2010, Assistant Operations Officer, 510th Fighter Squadron; Chief of Inspections, 31st Fighter Wing; Operations Officer, 31st Operations Support Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
10. June 2010 – May 2011, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
11. May 2011 – July 2011, Deputy Group Commander, 31st Operations Group, Aviano AB, Italy
12. July 2011 – June 2014, Deputy Chief, F-35 System Management Office, Langley, AFB, Va.
13. June 2014 – June 2015, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2015 – June 2017, Chief, F-35 System Management Office, Langley AFB, Va.
15. June 2017 - Present, Vice Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 2,200
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major August 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel August 1, 2009
Colonel November 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2017)