Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Aviano Air Base
Aviano Air Base
Search Aviano Air Base:
Search Aviano Air Base:
31st Fighter Wing
Equal Opportunity Office
Public Affairs Office
Sexual Assault Response Coordinator
31st Operations Group
31st Maintenance Group
31st Mission Support Group
31st Medical Group
Freedom of Information
Community Support Agencies
Area Defense Counsel
Special Victims' Counsel
AFN Europe - Aviano
Select a Category
Title A > Z
Title Z > A
31st Fighter Wing Leadership
Brig Gen Daniel T. Lasica
Col David S. Chase
CMSgt Edwin V. Ludwigsen
COLONEL JEFFREY L. YORK
Colonel Jeffrey L. York is the commander of the 31st Mission Support Group, Aviano Air Base, Italy. In that capacity, he commands all mission support and logistics functions for a base community of nearly 10,000 personnel. This includes the operation of six Aviano-based squadrons: The Civil Engineer Squadron, Communications Squadron, Contracting Squadron, Force Support Squadron, Logistics Readiness Squadron and Security Forces squadron. Together these units ensure the 31st Fighter Wing's ability to mobilize, deploy, and employ combat airpower. They also sustain the base's in-place missions, its workforce and their families, and base infrastructure worth over $4 billion, while simultaneously providing security for the base.
Colonel York graduated from Southeast Missouri State University in 1993 as a distinguished graduate from the Reserve Officer Training Corps. He has served in a variety of positions as an air battle manager to include assignments in Formal Training, Mobile Air Control and E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System. He served as director of operations and commander for the 603rd Air Control Squadron, commander of both the 71st and the 727th Expeditionary Air Control Squadrons as well as the Regional Air Defense commander for Iraq and the Arabian Gulf. He also served as the 31st Fighter Wing director of staff and his staff tours include NORAD/U.S. Northern Command and Air Combat Command.
Colonel York has served in Operations Southern Watch, Desert Fox, Allied Force, Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom and New Dawn as well as Air Defense of the Arabian Gulf and Counter-Narco Terrorism operations.
1993 Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, Mo.
1994 Distinguished Graduate, Basic Instructor Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1997 Master of Arts in Management, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1997 Joint Air Operations Planning Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1993 – April 1994, Student, Air Weapons Controller, 337th Technical Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2. April 1994 – September 1997, Instructor Air Weapons Controller, Instructor Air Weapons Director, Instructor Air Battle Manager, Assistant Flight Commander and Assistant Chief of Standardization/Evaluations, 325th Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. September 1997 – February 2001, Flight Commander, Evaluator Mission Crew Commander, Chief of Standardization/Evaluations and Chief of Field Training Unit, 607th Air Control Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz. (September 1998 – January 1999, Mission Crew Commander, Southwest Asia, April 1999 – June 1999, Mission Crew Commander, Jaco Tenente, Italy)
4. February 2001 – September 2001, Student, Airborne Warning and Control System Air Weapons Officer, 552nd Training Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
5. September 2001 – May 2002, Air Weapons Officer and Assistant Flight Commander, 963d Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla. (January 2002 – February 2002, Air Weapons Officer, Southwest Asia)
6. May 2002 – June 2005, Weapons Training Officer, Chief of Weapons Training, Chief of Combat Plans and Chief of Combat Operations, 552nd Operations Support Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. June 2005 – August 2006, Mission Crew Commander and Chief of Current Operations, 965th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla. (January 2006 – March 2006, Mission Crew Commander, South America)
8. August 2006 – June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2007 – July 2009, Director of Operations, 603d Air Control Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy (January
2009 – May 2009, Commander, 71st Expeditionary Air Control Squadron, Southwest Asia)
10. July 2009 – July 2010, Director of Staff, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
11. July 2010 – June 2012, Commander, 603d Air Control Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy (March 2011 – September 2011, Commander, 727th Expeditionary Air Control Squadron, Southwest Asia)
12. July 2012 – June 2013, Chief, Homeland Defense Branch, Operations Division, NORAD/USNORTHCOM Command Center, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. July 2013 – May 2014, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2014 – June 2017, Chief, Air Operations Center and Air Force Forces Division, Directorate of Plans, Programs, and Requirements, HQ ACC, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. July 2017 – Present, Commander, 31st Mission Support Group, Aviano AB, Italy
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 – June 2013, Chief, Homeland Defense Branch, Operations Division, NORAD/USNORTHCOM Command Center, Peterson AFB, Colo.
Rating: Senior Air Battle Manager
E-3 B/C Flight hours: 600 including 111 combat hours
CRC: 3,000 combat/combat support hours
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, July 21, 1993
First Lieutenant, July 21, 1995
Captain, July 21, 1997
Major, December 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel, December 1, 2008
Colonel, March 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2017)