Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Aviano Air Base
Aviano Air Base
Search Aviano Air Base:
Search Aviano Air Base:
31st Fighter Wing
31st FW Chapel
31st FW Equal Opportunity
31st FW Inspector General
31st FW Legal Office
31st FW Public Affairs
31st FW Sexual Assault Response Coordinator
31st Operations Group
31st Maintenance Group
31st Mission Support Group
31st Medical Group
Freedom of Information
Area Defense Counsel
Special Victims' Counsel
AFN Europe - Aviano
Select a Category
Title A > Z
Title Z > A
31st Fighter Wing Leadership Biographies
CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT EDWIN V. LUDWIGSEN
Chief Master Sergeant Edwin V. Ludwigsen is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy. Serving as the wing's senior enlisted leader, Chief Ludwigsen is the principle advisor to the commander on matters influencing the readiness, training, morale, welfare, quality of life, and professional development of approximately 4,200 active duty military, 300 U.S. civilian and 600 Italian civilian members. In this capacity, he also provides direct guidance to 24 Chief Master Sergeants and 19 First Sergeants. The primary mission of the wing is to maintain NATO surety posturing as well as conduct air combat operations in direct support of NATO and Combatant Command requirements. This mission is primarily driven by two combat-ready F-16CM Fighting Falcon fighter
squadrons and the only tactical command and control squadron in the European theater.
Chief Ludwigsen grew up in Spring Lake, North Carolina and entered the Air Force in February 1995. His professional background includes various leadership positions within the logistics and fuels management communities; including the Air Staff, Air Force Petroleum Agency, MAJCOM Functional Manager and Logistics Readiness Group Superintendent. Chief Ludwigsen’s service includes assignments in California, Oklahoma, Washington D.C. and Hawaii with overseas assignments in Panama, Germany and Italy. Additionally, he has deployed in support of Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa.
1999 Airman Leadership School, Altus AFB, OK.
2004 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Goodfellow AFB, TX.
2005 Associate of Logistics Management, Community College of the Air Force.
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, National Defense University.
2008 Baccalaureate of Business Management, Strayer University, Washington DC.
2009 United States Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter Annex, Alabama.
2014 Masters of Science, concentration in leadership, Strayer University, Washington DC.
2015 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Randolph AFB, TX.
2015 AFSO 21 Executive Leaders Course, University of Tennessee.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina.
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Course, National Defense University.
2017 KEYSTONE Joint Command Senior Enlisted Leader Course, National Defense University.
2018 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, The Judge Advocate General School.
1. February – March 1995, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX.
2. March 1995 – June 1995, Trainee, Fuels Apprentice Course, Sheppard AFB, TX.
3. June 1995 – August 1996, Fuels Apprentice, Edwards AFB, CA.
4. August 1996 – June 1999, Cryogenic Production Plant Operator, Howard AFB, Panama.
5. June 1999 – August 2005, Fuels Supervisor, Altus AFB, OK.
6. August 2005 – October 2007, Superintendent, AF Fuels Policy, AF Petroleum Agency, Fort Belvoir, VA.
7. October 2007 – April 2010, Superintendent, Fuels Resource Automation/Energy Conservation, Pentagon.
8. April 2010 – June 2012, Superintendent, PACAF Fuels Operations, Joint Base Pearl Harbor - Hickam, HI.
9. June 2012 – August 2013, USAFE Fuels Functional Manager, Ramstein AB, Germany.
10. August 2013 – October 2014, Fuels Manager, 86 Logistics Readiness Sq, Ramstein AB, Germany.
11. October 2014 – May 2016, Superintendent, 86 Logistic Readiness Group, Ramstein AB, Germany.
12. May 2016 – November 2017, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 52FW, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
13. November 2017 – present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 31FW, Aviano AB, Italy.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
1997 Senior Airman Below the Zone
1999 John Levitow Award, Airman Leadership School
2004 97th Mission Support Group NCO of the Year Award
2006 Air Force Petroleum Agency Staff Enlisted Manager of the Year
2008 HQ Air Force A4 SNCO of the Year
2009 Distinguished Graduate Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant December 2012
(Current as of May 2018)