PRINT | E-MAIL
Colonel Chris E. Boring is the Commander, 31st Maintenance Group, Aviano Air Base, Italy. The maintenance group consists of three squadrons and one Geographically Separated Unit (GSU) providing aircraft maintenance, equipment maintenance, and munitions support to the 31st Fighter Wing and other units throughout NATO’s southern region. The 31st Maintenance Group maintains combat capability for 51 Block 50F-16 C/D aircraft valued at $1.93 billion, and provides force infrastructure support for 1,300 assigned military and civilian personnel. Additionally, the group manages Europe’s largest munitions stockpile of 3.94 million items valued at $598 million.
Colonel Boring entered the Air Force in 1990 and commissioned through Officer Training School in 1998. In addition to earning two Master’s degrees, he completed fellowships from Georgetown University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology and is a graduate and former cadre of USAF Advance Maintenance and Munitions Officer School. His assignments span Joint and Air Force missions to include Joint Staff, field and depot maintenance, and combat deployments to British Indian Ocean Territory and Afghanistan. Colonel Boring has held leadership positions for F-35, F-16, F-22, F-15, F-117, MQ-1, MQ-9, A-10, C-130, B-1, B-2, and B-52 and four other ISR aircraft. Prior to his current position, Colonel Boring was the Military Deputy for Logistics and Sustainment, F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Joint Program Office, Arlington, Virginia.
1995 Associates of Science, Avionics Systems, Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
1997 Associates of Science, Logistics, Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Business Management, University of Maryland, University College, Md.
2002 Master of Science, International Management, University of Maryland, University College, Md.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
2011 Masters Certificate, Legislative Studies, Government Affairs Institute, Georgetown University, Md.
2011 Air Force Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2013 Master Personal Trainer Certificate, International Sports Science Association, Carpentaria, Calif.
2015 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
2018 Seminar XXI Fellowship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
1. August 1998-April 2000, Flight Commander, Sortie Support, 40th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
2. May 2000-November 2000, Flight Commander, Logistics Support, 317th Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. December 2000-July 2001, Flight Commander, Sortie Generation, 40th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. July 2001-July 2002, Flight Commander, Mission Support, 649th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
5. July 2002-June 2003, Flight Commander, Maintenance, 649th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
6. June 2003-June 2004, Deputy Branch Chief, A-10 Aircraft, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
7. June 2004-November 2005, Officer In Charge, 23d Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 5th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron (AMXS), Minot AFB, N.D. (April 2005-September 2005, Maintenance Operations Officer, 40th Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron, 40th Air Expeditionary Group, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory)
8. November 2005-June 2006, Maintenance Operations Officer, 5th Maintenance Operations Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
9. June 2006-June 2007, Mission Support Director, United States Air Force (USAF) Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School (AMMOS), Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. June 2007-June 2008, Tactics Operations Officer, USAF AMMOS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. June 2008-October 2008, Operations Officer, 57th Component Maintenance Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
12. October 2008-July 2010, Squadron Commander, 354th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
13. July 2010-December 2011, USAF Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
14. December 2011-June 2013, Squadron Commander, 509th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo. (February 2013-March 2013, 13th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Commander, Forward Bomber Presence, Andersen Air Base, Guam)
15. June 2013-June 2014, Deputy Commander, 451st Expeditionary Maintenance Group and 451st Air Expeditionary Group, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
16. June 2014-June 2015, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley-McNair, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2015-June 2016, Chief Strategy and Planning Branch, Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va
18. June 2016-August 2017, Special Assistant to the Director for Joint Force Development, Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va
19. August 2017-June 2018, Military Deputy for Logistics and Sustainment, F-35 Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va.
20. June 2018-Present, Commander, 31st Maintenance Group, Aviano AB, Italy
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2014–August 2017, Special Assistant to the Director for Joint Force Development, Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va, as a lieutenant colonel
2. August 2017–June 2018, Military Deputy for Logistics and Sustainment, F-35 Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 14, 1998
First Lieutenant August 14, 2000
Captain August 14, 2002
Major June 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2011
Colonel April 1, 2018
(Current as of 18 June 2018)