Col Vincent J. O'Connor
PRINT | E-MAIL
Christopher M. Busque is the commander of the 31st Mission Support Group, Aviano Air Base, Italy. In that capacity, he commands all mission support and logistics functions for a base community of nearly 10,000. This includes the operation of six Aviano-based squadrons: the 31st Civil Engineer Squadron, the 31st Communications Squadron, the 31st Contracting Squadron, the 41st Logistics Readiness Squadron, the 31st Security Forces Squadron, and the 31st Force Support Squadron. Together these units ensure the 31st Fighter Wing’s ability to mobilize, deploy, and employ combat airpower. They also sustain the base’s in-place missions, its workforce and their families, and base infrastructure worth over $4 billion, while simultaneously providing security for the base.
Prior to this assignment Col. Busque was the chief, Military Force Policy Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., where he provided strategic guidance for Air Force human resource polices regarding assignments, retraining, physical fitness, evaluation, promotion, decorations, separation, and bonus payments for more than 507,000 active duty, guard, and reserve personnel. Additionally, Col. Busque has commanded two force support squadron’s and has served in a variety of notable positions at the headquarters Air Force, joint and wing levels. Col. Busque entered the Air Force in 1997 through Air Force ROTC at the University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona. He was raised in West Hartford, Connecticut.
1997 Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
2001 Master of Organizational Management, University of Phoenix, Las Vegas, Nev.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Master of Military Studies, Marine Corps University, Quantico Marine Corps Base, Va.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Joint & Combined Warfighting School (JPME-II), Joint Forces Staff College, Satellite Course, Tampa, Fla.
2018 Air Force Fellow (Senior Development Education), RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
1. July 1997 - December 1998, Squadron Section Commander, 30th Mission Support Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. December 1998 - October 1999, Chief, Customer Support, 30th Mission Support Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
3. October 1999 - June 2002, Chief, Weapons School Education and Training, Detachment 8, Air Combat Command Training Support Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
4. June 2002 - June 2004, Squadron Section Commander, 31st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
5. June 2004 - May 2005, Executive Officer, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
6. May 2005 - June 2007, Military Personnel Flight Commander, 31st Mission Support Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
7. June 2007 - July 2009, Chief, 38F Career Field Management, Strategic Plans Division, Headquarters U. S. Air Force DCS Manpower and Personnel, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
8. July 2009 - July 2010, Student, U.S. Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico Marine Corps Base, Va.
9. July 2010 - July 2012, Commander, 49th Force Support Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
10. July 2012 - May 2014, Chief, Sustainment Branch, Directorate of Logistics and Engineering, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
11. June 2014 - June 2016, Commander, 673d Force Support Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
12. June 2016 - June 2017, Chief, Sustainment Division, Total Force Service Center, Air Force Personnel Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
13. June 2017 - June 2018, Air Force Fellow, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
14. June 2018 – July 2019, Chief, Military Force Policy Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force DCS Manpower and Personnel, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
15. July 2019 - Present, Commander, 31st Mission Support Group, Aviano AB, Italy
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 - May 2014, Chief, Sustainment Branch, Directorate of Logistics and Engineering, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
2016 Air Force General Curtis E. Lemay Award for “Best Force Support Squadron” (large installation)
2014 Air Force General Curtis E. Lemay Award for “Best Force Support Squadron” (large installation)
2011 Air Force Major General Eugene L. Eubank Award for “Best Force Support Squadron” (small installation)
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service
Medal NATO Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 15, 1997
First Lieutenant July 15, 1999
Captain July 15, 2001
Major April 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2012
Colonel November 1, 2018
(Current as of July 2019)