An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Aviano Passenger Terminal

Passenger Terminal Group Photo 

Aviano Passenger Terminal

Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Closed Weekends and Holidays  

724th Air Mobility Squadron
Attn: AMC Passenger Terminal
Unit 6165 Box 215
APO AE 09604

DSN: 314-632-7680
Comm from Italy: 0434-30-7680
Comm from Europe: 0434-30-7680
Comm from US: 011-039-0434-30-7680

DSN FAX: 314-632-7782
Comm FAX from Italy: 0434-30-7782
Comm FAX from Europe: 0434-30-7782
Comm FAX from US: 011-039-0434-30-7782


Facebook: Aviano Passenger Terminal


Welcome to the Aviano Passenger Terminal. We pride ourselves in providing superior customer service to all our patrons and visitors. Please supply feedback on our performance by using the comment cards located throughout the terminal, contacting a passenger service agent, or select ICE at the bottom of the page.

Space Available seats are often limited, therefore, passenger planning and flexibility is key to Space Available travel out of Aviano AB. As a reminder to all family members traveling Space Available, upon return to Italy you must have your Soggiorno or receipt for Soggiorno.

On behalf of the 724th Air Mobility Squadron and the Air Mobility Command, we wish you an enjoyable travel experience and look forward to assisting you in future travels.


Aviano Passenger Terminal Information


The Patriot Express, also known at the Rotator, or Cat B flight, is a Department of Defense (DoD) contracted commercial charter flight which provides international support to travelers on official duty and their families. The PE also provides Space Available travel opportunities to and from the United States. The 618th Air Operations Center at Scott AFB, IL., schedules these flights on a reoccurring basis both to and from AMC commercial airports and military passenger terminals. These flights offer an array of in-flight amenities and operate similar to commercial airlines.


Amenities vary between the contracted airlines being flown. Available meals and beverages are comparable to those offered in commercial airline business class. Special meals such as kosher, diabetic, vegetarian, and meals for children may be available when requested 24 hours in advance. Patriot Express flights show current box office movies and provide headsets free of charge. AMC has worked hard to ensure you have as much room as possible. Some of the Patriot Express missions have 34 inches of legroom, com- pared to 31-32 inches on most commercial airlines.


Families in PCS status are authorized to travel with their pets, but are limited to two pets (cats and dogs only) per family. Each pet is limited to 150 lbs (this includes the combined weight of the pet and its kennel/carrier). Small pets are authorized in-cabin as long as the kennel/carrier does not exceed 20” L X 16” W X 8.5” H and can fit under the seat. Soft-sided and collapsible kennels/carriers are authorized for in-cabin pets only. Each pet must be able to lie down, stand up, and turn around in its kennel/carrier. Passengers are responsible for obtaining and meeting all pet shipment requirements, quarantine, and fees associated with the shipment of their pet(s). Contact your local Transportation Office or AMC Passenger Terminal for further information. We recommend contacting your veterinarian to obtain any required documentation and for advice on preparing your pet for travel; feeding, watering, etc. Please refer to our Pet Travel Brochure.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals (ESA)

Bona fide service animals and ESA’s are authorized to accompany passengers with disabilities in the cabin of the aircraft. Service Animals require identification cards and written documentation issued by an agency verifying the animal has been trained as a service animal.

Transportation is subject to country quarantine procedures. Specific information can be found by accessing It’s recommended that you con- tact your local Transportation Office or AMC Passenger Terminal to ensure your service animal can be accommodated. ESA’s require documentation from a licensed mental health professional (e.g., a psychiatrist, psychologist, or licensed clinical social worker) IAW. For ESA documentation requirements, please see the Pet Travel Brochure on our AMC Travel Site

Required Documentation

Military and DoD Travelers must possess a valid Government issued ID card (including dependents 10 years of age or older), travel orders (NATO travel orders when required), passports, and visas when applicable. Responsibility to obtain and maintain required documentation lies solely with you, the traveler.

Checking In

Passenger check-in begins 6 hours prior to departure at AMC commercial airport locations. If passengers do not elect to check-in early, the required show time is no later than 2 hours and 20 minutes prior to departure at BWI Airport and 3 hours and 20 minutes prior to departure at SEA-TAC Airport. If you are departing from a military installation, please check with the passenger terminal personnel for specific check-in times. These times are de- signed to ensure on time departures.

Contract Enforcement

US Transportation Command, Field Operating Administrators personnel routinely travel on missions to inspect air carriers for contract compliance. In addition, each location’s Quality Assurance personnel or Contract Officer Representatives perform inspections prior to mission departure. We partner with contracted carries to ensure your passengers receive the best possible service.

Baggage Allowance

Each passenger is authorized two pieces of checked baggage not to exceed 70 pounds and 62 linear inches (sum of length+width+height) each. Bags larger than 62 linear inches and/or heavier than 70 pounds will be counted as two pieces and an excess baggage charge may apply. Excess baggage rates vary depending on your destination but will not exceed $125. Excess bag- gage/pet fees can be paid by cash, check, or credit card. Excess Baggage is Not Authorized for Space- Available Passengers.

Carry-on Baggage

Carry-ons must fit under the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Approximate dimensions are 9” x 14” x 22” for a total of 45 linear inches. Baggage Exceeding 80 Linear Inches and/or 100 pounds WILL NOT be Accepted. Disposition of unauthorized weight or oversized baggage is the responsibility of the owner/traveler.


Controllable Carrier Delays are defined as those that are within the control of the carrier, e.g., maintenance or late arrivals. In the event that a controllable delay occurs and it extends over a meal period, all manifested passengers (not to include originating Space-Available passengers, unless they had boarded the aircraft and it blocked out) will receive hot meals, billeting, and transportation to/from. Non-controllable Carrier Delays are defined as delays that are not within the control of the carrier, e.g., inclement weather or an Air Traffic Control delay. In this case, the Government assumes responsibility for all manifested passengers. If this type of delay requires an overnight stay, lodging and transportation to/from, will be provided. Meals are the responsibility of the traveler and are reimbursable through official travel per diem.

If Duty Passengers (NOT Space Available passengers) miss their commercial connection caused by an AMC mission delay, and arrive to the manifested destination is two or more hours after the scheduled arrival time or the passenger receives their baggage late, the contracted airline will reimburse the passenger for fees imposed by their connecting airline. An AMC boarding pass and documentation from the airline charging you the fee will be required to claim reimbursement.

Space Available Travel Questions


Question 1: What is Space-A?
Answer: Space-A is short for "Space-Available air transportation on government owned or controlled aircraft." When mission and cargo loads allow, there are often seats made available to eligible passengers. With a little patience and flexibility, you can travel all over the world for almost nothing. 

Question 2: What restrictions are there on Space-A?
Answer: You cannot use Space-A privileges for personal gain or in connection with business enterprises or employment. You also can't use Space-A travel to establish a home, to transport dependents to a duty station where you are or will be serving an unaccompanied tour, to transport dependents to a TDY duty station, or when international or theater restrictions prohibit such travel. 

Question 3: When can I mark myself present for a flight?
Answer: You may mark yourself present for a flight up to 24 hours prior. 

Question 4: Where do I get the terminal phone numbers?
Answer: The phone numbers can be found in guidebooks, on information sheets provided by the passenger terminals, and through the World Wide Web on the Internet. Many passenger terminals now have their own World Wide Web pages and Facebook pages, and many of them also list phone numbers. 

Question 5: I am a uniformed service member with command-sponsored dependents. Can they travel unaccompanied?
Answer: Yes, if they are 18 years of age or older. However, the intent of this program is to afford command sponsored dependents relief from their overseas duty location. Travel is authorized Overseas-CONUS, CONUS-Overseas, and Overseas-Overseas within the same theater. Once your dependent lands in the CONUS, they are no longer authorized to travel Space-A to another destination unless they are manifested on an aircraft that is only transiting the en route CONUS location.

Question 6: My husband is stationed in Korea, can I go Space-A to visit him?
Answer: Travel is authorized to the sponsor's unaccompanied permanent PCS location. Travel under this program is not authorized when the sponsor is on TDY/TAD orders. Travel is authorized Overseas-CONUS, CONUS-Overseas, and Overseas-Overseas. However CONUS-CONUS travel is not authorized unless they are manifested on an aircraft that is only transiting the en route CONUS location. The sponsor must obtain documentation, in the form of a letter, verifying authorized travel from their current unit commander. 

Question 7: I just traveled from Overseas to CONUS under the Command Sponsored Dependent Program. What do you mean I cannot travel from state to state (CONUS to CONUS)?
Answer: Once a dependent lands in the CONUS, their onward travel is complete unless they are manifested on an aircraft that is only transiting the en route CONUS location or transiting a CONUS location is required, i.e. EDF-HIK 

Question 8: What documentation do I need for dependents without an ID card and less than 10 years old?
Answer: Dependents without an ID card and less than 10 years old must have proof of age, i.e. birth certificate, passport, or other Government provided document. 

Question 9: My sponsor was retired and is now deceased. Can I still fly Space A.?
Answer: No. Space-A travel is a privilege granted to the service member and does not carry over after death to dependents. With one exception; only dependents of retired Uniformed Services members who die overseas. Travel is authorized for the purpose of accompanying the remains of the deceased retired member from overseas to the CONUS. Return travel is authorized if accomplished within one year of arrival in the CONUS. Documentation certified by DoD mortuary affairs personnel shall be presented to air terminal personnel, and shall be in the dependents' possession during travel. 

Question 10: I have non-command sponsored dependents. Can they travel unaccompanied? 
Answer: Yes, for those 18 years or older. Travel is authorized to the sponsor's unaccompanied permanent PCS location. Travel is not authorized to meet up at another location. Travel under this program is not authorized when the sponsor is on TDY/TAD orders. Travel is authorized CONUS-Overseas, Overseas-CONUS, and Overseas-Overseas. Once your dependent lands in the CONUS, they are no longer authorized to travel Space-A to another destination. CONUS-CONUS travel is not authorized unless they are manifested on an aircraft that is only transiting the en route CONUS location. Please refer to AMC Travel Website for additional info. 

Question 11: I am a disabled veteran, with a retiree card (DD Form 2). Can I fly Space-A?
Answer: Yes. However, there are certain restrictions you need to be aware of. If you require motorized assistance to move around, the current allowance is for mobility assistance equipment shall not to exceed 100 lbs. in weight. 

Question 12: After I sign-up, what is my next step?
Answer: On the day you would like to travel, you must be "Marked-Present" to be included during the Space-A Roll Call for travel.  See a Passenger Service Agent at the Check-In or Customer Service Counter.  You may be "Marked-Present" up to 24 hours prior to Roll Call. 

Question 13: What is EML and does it apply to Space-A?
Answer: EML stands for Environmental and Moral Leave. Typically, only unfunded EML travel is authorized for use in the Space-A program. Passengers travelling in the EML status are given a higher priority than those traveling on ordinary leave. 

Question 14: What is remote sign-up? 
Answer: Remote sign-up allows passengers to sign-up for space available travel by emailing or faxing copies of proper service documentation along with desired country destinations and family member's first names to the aerial port of departure. The email or fax data header will establish date/time of sign-up; therefore, active duty personnel must ensure that their email or fax is sent no earlier than the effective date of leave. Mailed in entries will also be permitted and date and time for sign-up will be the time it is received at the Passenger Service Counter. 

Question 15: What is self sign-up? 
Answer: Self sign-up is a program that allows passengers to sign-up at a terminal without waiting in line. Most locations now provide self sign-up counters with easy to follow instructions for registration. Active duty personnel must ensure sign-up takes place no earlier than the effective date of leave. If your travel will take you to a foreign country, ensure border clearance documentation is up to date. If you are unsure of specific requirements a passenger service representative on duty would be happy to assist. 

Question 16: How can I find where my name is on the Space-A register? 
Answer: Each terminal maintains a Space-A register organized by priority category and the date and time of registration for travel. The register is conveniently located in the terminal and directly accessible to you and updated daily. Travelers may call the terminal to find where they stand on the register. 

Question 17: As a Reservist or Guard Member, where can I fly? 
Answer: Reserve/Guard members with a valid Common Access Card (CAC) and the DD Form 1853 may fly to, from, and between Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Continental United States (CONUS).  Dependents are not authorized to travel.  However, when on Active Duty for more than 30 consecutive days and in a leave status, members and their dependents may fly to overseas locations where AMC has flights operating.

Question 18: Can dependents travel with retired Reservists?
Answer: Dependents can travel with retired sponsors if their sponsor carries a DD Form 2 (Blue retired ID card), NOT a DD Form 2 (Red). When carrying "Red" card, only sponsor can travel Space-A. 

Question 19: What is Date and Time of Sign-up?
Answer: Date and Time of Sign-up is the time used to determine the next selected passenger in their category during the Roll Call process. The original date and time of sign-up shall be documented and stay with the passenger until his or her destination is reached. On reaching destination, the passenger may again sign-up for Space Available travel to return to home station. NOTE: If applicable, a statement that all required border clearance documents are current is required. 

Question 20: Can I travel unaccompanied Space A if my spouse is deployed?
Answer: Unaccompanied dependents of deployed uniformed service members, when the deployment orders indicate the deployment is between 30 and 365 consecutive days, are authorized to travel Space-A unaccompanied in Category IV. If the deployment period exceeds 365 consecutive days, the unaccompanied dependents are authorized Category III travel. However, you will only be eligible to move in this category after every other Category 3 member has been selected. 

Question 21: Can I have family members travel with another military member if given power of attorney, other releases, or authority? 
Answer: No. Family members may only travel when accompanied by their sponsor except as noted in Question 10. 

Question 22: I am a disabled retiree or dependent (Other Than 100% Disabled Veteran), can I have a brother, sister, or friend accompany me to help me? 
Answer: The only persons permitted to accompany you are your spouse, dependents or other persons eligible for Space-A travel. Every effort shall be made to transport passengers with disabilities who are otherwise eligible to travel.  In some instances, however not required, Passenger Service personnel and Crew Members may provide assistance in boarding, seating, and deplaning passengers with special needs.  NOTE:  Current Space-A Privileges do not extend to 100% Disabled Veteran's Spouse or Dependents.

Question 23: Do I have to be in uniform to travel? 
Answer: Each service determines its own travel uniform policies. Currently, services except the Marine Corps permit appropriate civilian attire on DoD-owned or controlled aircraft. When civilian clothing is worn it should be in good taste and not in conflict with accepted attire in the overseas country of departure, transit, or destination, as defined by the DoD Foreign Clearance Guide. It should also be capable of keeping you warm especially on military aircraft. Passengers are also reminded the high heeled, open toed and "five finger" styled shoes may not be worn on military aircraft. 

Question 24: How much baggage can I take? 
Answer: As a Space-A traveler, you may check two pieces of luggage at 70 pounds each per person. Family members traveling together may pool their baggage allowance as long as the total does not exceed the total allowance. Each passenger is permitted to hand-carry one article (small luggage, garment bags, backpack, etc.) and one personal item (cosmetic case, purse, briefcase, small boxes, packages, etc.) for storage in the passenger cabin area.
NOTE: Smaller type aircraft have restrictions (C-12, C-21, UC-35 aircraft have 30lb baggage limitation. Navy C-40 & C-9's are restricted to two bags at 50 lbs total). 

Question 25: Can I pay for excess baggage when flying Space Available? 
Answer: No. Only duty status passengers may pay for excess baggage. 

Question 26: Do you have any recommendations on baggage? 
Answer: Yes. Travel light, take only essential items. Do not place valuables, medicine, or important documents in your checked baggage. Be sure your name and current address are on and inside your bags. AMC terminals have baggage ID tags available for your use. It is also advisable to place a copy of your leave/EML paperwork inside your checked baggage. 

Question 27: Can my pet travel with me on a Space-A flight? 
Answer: No. DoD has reserved pet shipments for passengers in Permanent Change of Station (PCS) status. Note: Service animals may fly with a member with proper /documentation. 

Question 28: Will Space-A travel cost much? 
Answer: In general, no.  You will be assessed a Federal Inspection Fee if you travel on a commercial mission arriving the United States from overseas.  A Head Tax is another fee that applies to Space-A passengers who arrive/depart the Customs Territories of the United States (CTUS) to/from overseas locations on these missions. Other costs associated with travel may be expensive.  You might spend a bit on phone calls to find out about flights, a room for the night along the way, or a bus fare to get from one base to another.  You may limit these costs depending on how frugal you are (e.g. take a bus vs. rent a car) and if opportunities for you to save are available (i.e. base lodging vs. a commercial hotel room).  Meals may be purchased at a nominal fee at most air terminals while traveling on military aircraft. Meal service on AMC Category B full planeload charters is complimentary. 

Question 29: What facilities are available at AMC terminals? (Family Lounge, BX, and Snack Bar)
Answer: Facilities at most of the larger military terminals are generally the same as commercial facilities. Facilities include AAFES/NEX, barber shops, snack bars, television, traveler assistance, United Services Organization (USO) lounges, and Family Lounges. The type of facility available will vary according to the terminal size and location. NOTE: Most AMC Passenger Terminals close overnight. Space-A travelers must be prepared for billeting expenses. 

Question 30: What is the best time of the year to travel Space-A? 
Answer: Anytime other than peak travel and holidays (December-January and June-August) periods. 

Question 32: Is it easier to go to some destinations? 
Answer: Yes. Places where we fly often such as Japan and Germany are much easier than low frequency areas. 

Question 33: Can people travel Space-A to Alaska or South America? 
Answer: Yes. Travelers may obtain Space-A travel to Alaska, South America, and other interesting locations; i.e. Australia, New Zealand, etc. Travel to Alaska is relatively easy when departing from Travis AFB, California, and McChord AFB, Washington. Travel to South America and other remote areas can be much more difficult. Infrequent flights to remote areas are primarily cargo missions and have few seats available for passenger movement. Expect long waiting periods for movement. 

Question 34: I am retired and am traveling on a passport and my flight originated overseas. Where in the Continental United States (CONUS) can I fly into? 
Answer: When traveling on a passport, all family members, retired uniform service, reserve, and others may return to the CONUS only through authorized ports of entry where customs and immigration clearance is available. While you may depart the CONUS literally from any military airfield, reentry locations for passport holders are limited. Active duty passengers who do not require immigration clearance have more reentry options available. 

Question 35: Can I fly on Space-A on other than AMC flights? 
Answer: Yes. Your travel eligibility is for all DoD-owned or controlled aircraft. AMC, however, does not always have knowledge of other command/services' scheduled flight information. 

Question 36: Can I call the Passenger Terminal for flight information?
Answer: We can only release limited flight information up to 72 hours. However, we encourage you to call the passenger terminal you plan on traveling through 30-60 days before travel. The terminal will be happy to discuss Space-A opportunities from their location. 

Question 37: Where and when can my family members travel with me? 
Answer: Except EML and emergency travel, family members must be accompanied by the sponsor to fly Space-A. Family members may travel to/from and between overseas locations and within the Continental United States. Dependents of active duty members may travel within the Continental United States (CONUS) when accompanying their sponsor on emergency leave. Dependents may accompany the sponsor on permissive house-hunting trips incident to a permanent change of station (PCS). Command sponsored dependents stationed overseas are allowed unaccompanied travel to, from, and within the overseas theater (in addition to environmental morale leave previously authorized). Travel restrictions may apply to certain overseas areas as determined by the unified commander. Unaccompanied dependents must have documentation signed by their sponsor's commander verifying command sponsorship during their travel and show to Passenger Terminal personnel. This document is only valid for one round-trip from the sponsor's duty location. Family members under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an eligible parent or legal guardian. These changes do not affect the assignment categories for Space-A travel. 

Question 38: May I use my Government Travel Card (GTC) or personal credit card to pay for meals and any other fees associated with AMC travel? 
Answer: Yes. The Government Travel Card and personal credit cards are accepted at most AMC terminals. Contact your local and or departing terminal to ensure service is available. NOTE: The Government Travel Card is for official use only. 

Question 39: As a Retiree, where can I fly? 
Answer: Retired members with DD Form 2 (Blue) identification card may fly anywhere AMC has flights operating, including the Continental United States.

Question 40: NEW as of 13 August 2018.  I am a Disabled Veteran or 100% Disable Veteran but not Retired, can I fly Space-A?
Answer: Yes, With the extending of eligibility Veterans with a Permanent Service-connected Disability Rated as Total are now able to compete for travel in Space-Available Category VI, traveling in the Continental United States (CONUS) or directly between the CONUS and Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa (Guam and American Samoa travelers may transit Hawaii or Alaska); or traveling within Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

Question 41: Is Space-A travel a reasonable substitute for commercial airline travel? 
Answer: The Answer depends on you. Space Available travel may be a good travel choice if you have a flexible schedule and your finances allow for a hotel stay (sometimes in a "high-cost" area) while awaiting movement. While some travelers may sign up and travel the same day, many factors could come together and make buying a commercial ticket your best or only option. Traveling Space-A depends on flexibility and good timing. 

Question 42: Who determines eligibility to fly Space-A? 
Answer: The four services jointly establish Space-eligibility. AMC's first responsibility is airlifting official DoD travelers. Space-A seats can be offered only after official duty passengers and cargo. 

Question 43: How long does my name stay on the Space-A list? 
Answer: All travelers remain on the list for 60 days after registration, for the duration of their travel authorization, or until they are selected for travel. 

Question 44: What is country sign-up, and how does it affect me? 
Answer: Under this program, you may sign up for five different countries rather than five different destinations.



Interactive Customer Evaluation link

Space-A Email Sign Up

To sign up for Space A, contact For more about Space A travel, visit the Air Mobility Command Travel website.