An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Collapse All Expand All
How can I get information about joining the U.S. Air Force?

For general information about joining the U.S. Air Force, contact an Air Force recruiter by clicking here or here.
Where can I get military memorabilia like patches, uniform items, mugs, etc.?

Below is an unofficial list of vendors known to carry military items.

Action Embroidery Corporation
1325 W Brooks Street
Ontario, CA 91762
(909) 983-135

Air Force Museum Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 33624
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433
(513) 258-1218

Battle Zone Ltd.
PO Box 266
Towaca, NJ 07082
FAX: (201) 402-7226

Headquarters for Military Supplies
131 East 6th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 623-314

Ken Nolan, Inc.
P.O. Box C-19555
Irvine, CA 92713
(714) 863-1531

U.S. Military Insignia
P.O. Box 3133
Naples, FL 33939-3133
(813) 434-8504

Are rental cars available? Are they expensive? What are the requirements to rent a car?

Rental cars are available both on and off base. A EuropCar office, located in The Exchange, is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Off-base rental companies can also be found in Aviano and other neighboring cities. Rental cost per day ranges from 39 to 95 euro. To rent a vehicle, you must have an identification card, state driver's license and Allied Forces Italy license. Call EuropCar at DSN 632-8719 for more information.

Are there any jobs available for dependents or spouses?

Aviano provides unique challenges for dependents or spouses seeking employment as the job market is limited to on-base employment.

For more information, click here.

Can my children go to Italian schools? What are the requirements? Process?

Children below high school age of U.S. military members stationed at Aviano Air Base may attend Italian school, referred to as "Scuola dell'infanzia" or "Scuola primaria." For information about the school and how to enroll your child, click here. For additional information, contact the Airman and Family Readiness Center cultural liaison at DSN 632-5655.

Do you have any listing of houses that we can view? is a service designed to connect service members and their families with community housing rental listings located near U.S. military bases. Click here for

How can I find information on learning Italian? Are free classes available for the military and family members?

The Air Force Library Program offers the Transparent Language Online program for learning foreign languages. This program is available to all Air Force personnel, to include active duty, retired, guard, civilian and their family members. Those interested should visit the base library to register for the free program and begin learning Italian or another of the 80 languages offered. For more information, call the library at DSN 632-5893. The base community center and the University of Maryland University College also offer Italian classes for a cost. For more information, call the community center at DSN 632-5479 or UMUC at DSN 632-5365.

How can I find out information about the different villages/towns so I can decide where to live?

Below is a (not all inclusive) listing of cities in which military members stationed at Aviano Air Base reside. Information provided on the Friuli Venezia Giulia (regional) website is linked on each city name. Members can also visit the FVG website direct at and click on the "English" option on the right side of the page to learn more. Another great way to find out about what each city has to offer is to ask your sponsor or pose the question on the Aviano Air Base Facebook page.


Fiume Veneto
Roveredo in Piano
San Quirino

How do I find out about volunteer opportunities?

For volunteer opportunities and information, click here.

How do I get a phone/internet connected in my home or dorm room? Why does it take so long to get the connections hooked up?

Internet is available in most towns surrounding Aviano. However, tenants should check with the landlord to see what type of internet coverage (dial-up or broadband) is offered. Telecom, NGI Satellite and FastWeb are three of the most popular internet providers in the area. Prices average between 40-65 euro per month for internet access. For Telecom internet, customers can stop by the phone store located in front of The Exchange and fill out an internet request form. For NGI internet, visit For FastWeb service, visit From initial request, expect an appointment confirmation in about one week and a technician to visit the house within two weeks. The installation technician will perform initial set up actions to ensure the home is wired correctly with internet and phone capability. Installation fees range from 80-120 euro. Unlike in the United States, bills are received more inconsistently from some local providers in Italy. Expect the first bill within 1-3 months after initial set up. Telecom Italia bills customer every two months.

How do I get gas coupons? What are the requirements?

NATO gas coupons can be purchased at the Base Exchange which eliminates the need to pay local European prices. You receive tax-free gasoline coupons only for your tax-free vehicle. Once your tax-free vehicle is registered on base through Pass and Registration; a "ration card" will be posted at the BX cashier cage where you can purchase tax-free gas coupons. Your monthly allowance is based on the engine size of your car. The maximum monthly allowance is 400 liters. These coupons are valid only at AGIP; however, other local gas stations in the area may accept NATO coupons. You should verify with the attendant prior to filling up your vehicle.

How do I learn about recycling and do I have to do it?

In Italy, recycling is required by law and not complying may result in fines. At home, residents must separate their trash in accordance with community rules. Each community in the region has different recycling requirements and each town has specific guidelines for recycling. For specific requirements in your community, visit our recycling page.

How do I purchase gas at an off-base gas station?

Aviano Air Base does not have a gas station on base, but getting gas off base is much like that in the U.S. The main difference is that gas is measured in liters and many gas stations have attendants who pump the gas for customers. To avoid paying local European prices, those driving tax-free personally owned vehicles should use NATO gas coupons to pay. Coupons can be purchased at the Base Exchange. Once your tax-free vehicle is registered on base through Pass and Registration; a "ration card" will be posted at the BX cashier cage where you can purchase tax-free gas coupons. Your monthly allowance is based on the engine size of your car. The maximum monthly allowance is 400 liters. These coupons are valid only at AGIP; however, other local gas stations in the area may accept NATO coupons. You should verify with the attendant prior to filling up your vehicle.

My child has special need, does the base has program/s for special need chilren?

Aviano Air Base has the Exceptional Family Member program, which is mandatory for all family members who have been identified with a special medical or educational need. Enrolling in the EFMP ensures that the family member's medical needs will be considered during the assignment coordination process. Before you move, identify the MTF that will serve you, visit the MTF's website to learn about the clinics and services available and to get relevant contact information.

For more information, click here

What are my options for television programs? Can I get Italian television? Does Italian television have channels in English?

Members PCSing to Aviano and living off base can request to be issued an American Forces Network (AFN) decoder from the Furnishings Management Office (FMO) to use for the duration of their assignment. For more information on AFN Europe and available programming, visit In regards to local Italian television, there is not an English option; however, people can purchase Sky cable television both off base and at the telephone store in front of The Exchange, which airs many American programs and offers an English or original language option for many shows and movies.
What child care options are available on and off base?

For more information on Aviano AB child care, click here.

For more information on Italian child care, click here or contact the Airman and Family Readiness Center at DSN 632-5407.

What do I need to do to switch my TRICARE enrollment?

Whether moving stateside or overseas, active duty families can now switch their TRICARE Prime enrollment by phone! Before you start your move, contact your losing TRICARE health care contractor to see if you need to switch to a new region. TRICARE does the rest! You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. For more information, click here.

What do I need to know in order to ship my pet with me to Aviano?

Italy does not have a quarantine or pet restrictions; however, there are major requirements when shipping pets. Click here for more information.

Other helpful resources include:
Air Mobility Command HQ Pet Brochure
Air Mobility Command HQ Pet Shipping FAQs

What is the best place to find information about things to do when I’m not working?

For information about on- and off-base events, click here.

What phone companies/plans are available in Italy?

Many stateside cell phone companies "lock" their cell phones so they can only be used with their service. For example, an iphone purchased through AT&T is locked to their network and cannot be used here in Italy with a local SIM card. To use an iphone, cell phone users must either purchase an unlocked iphone online or from a local phone store in Italy. The same is with other phones locked to carriers in the states.

Phone users have two options in Italy: pre-paid or monthly plans. Vodafone and TIM are the two main carriers. Both have similar phone plans, but users can compare quotes when they arrive on station. Most phone plans are on a 2-3 year contract and range from 20-60 euro a month depending on the plan and phone purchased. Additionally, users who would like a pre-paid plan can purchase an unlocked phone and then buy a SIM card from either provider for 10 euro. Then, it is up to the individual to load a certain amount of euro for pre-paid minutes and texting. Both carriers offer unlimited internet for pre-paid accounts which typically costs two euro a week.

A SIM (Subscriber Information Module) card is a small chip that fits into the phone. This chip contains the cell phone number (so if it is switched it to another phone, the number will still be the same) along with the account information. The SIM Card determines the network and phone number the cell phone uses.

GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is a type of cell phone and network used in Europe and most countries in the world. Some US cell phone companies use GSM (T-Mobile, AT&T), but many do not. GSM phones are required in Europe. These are sometimes called "World Phones" because they can be used around the world.

What type of driver's license do I need? Will I have to take a road test? What are the requirements?

All Department of Defense sponsored personnel (active duty, family members and civilian employees) must have an Allied Forces Italy (AFI) license to drive in Italy; an international license will not suffice. For more information, click here.

What weapons can I bring with me to Italy?

Privately Owned Firearms (POF)

Shipping of any kind of weapon is prohibited. The Italian Government has imposed a ban on shipment of privately owned firearms to Italy. POF includes any weapons that is designed for or can be readily converted to be used for attack, defense, sports, games or hunting by driving a projectile through the barrel. This includes air pistols, air rifles and firing replicas of antique firearms. Additionally, it includes spring-opening knives, fixed bowie knives, straight-edge razors, brass knuckles, blackjack devices, cans with sharpened points, pipes, chains, slings, metal spheres, and any other like weapon which may be used for offending a person is forbidden. Italian law states that pocket knives may be carried, but the blade must not exceed two inches in length.

a. Hand Guns: None.
b. Rifles/Shot Guns: None.
c. Toy Related Guns: None.
d. Other (i.e. Ammo, Explosives, Etc.): None.

Where can I get maps of the base and local areas? For local villages/towns, where can I get a real map?

Maps of the base, to include Area F, Area 1 and Area 2 are available at the Airman and Family Readiness Center, located near The Exchange and Post Office. Unfortunately most local villages/towns do not carry a hard copy map, nor does the base. Maps can be found online through a brief internet search through sites such as
Where can I get information on fun activities on base?

For info on family and youth services, sports and recreation, lodging and more, click here.
Where can I get a telephone number for a base organization?

Base Operator/ Locator:
International: 011-39-0434-30-1110
In Italy: 0434-30-1110
DSN: 314-632-1110