An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Motor vehicles/shipping
Car seat safety

Get a "Jump Start"
The base offers Jump Start, a course to help newcomers get their driver's licenses and start house hunting without waiting for their regularly scheduled Right Start to begin. Military members should be in uniform. The course is offered every Thursday from noon to 3:30 p.m. in Building 1413, Room 136. In order to receive your license immediately following the course, take your test online prior to the briefing by visiting here.

Driver's Licenses
U.S. Driver's License - A valid U.S. driver's license is required to obtain an Armed Forces in Italy driver's license. It is recommended that all Airmen and family members who intend to drive in Italy obtain a valid U.S. driver's license before arriving in Italy. If you intend to drive a motorcycle in Italy, you need to have a valid U.S. motorcycle driver's license. You must be 18 years old to obtain any type of AFI driver's license.

AFI Driver's License - During your first week at Aviano you will attend "Right Start" and be given the opportunity to obtain an AFI driver's license. You are encouraged to take the test on-line before arriving in order to expedite the process in Right Start. Click here for study guides and the AFI test module.

International Driver's License - An international driver's license may be required to drive in some European countries. If planning to drive outside Italy, it is recommended that drivers obtain an international driver's license prior to arriving in Italy. (These can be obtained at AAA locations in the U.S., but may also be obtained in Italy.)

Insurance - Vehicle insurance is expensive here and is currently limited to two U.S. companies in Italy. Talk to your sponsor and/or key spouse to learn more about insurance.

NOTE: Talk to your sponsor/key spouse about driver's licenses, but also about: shipping a vehicle; buying a vehicle in Italy; how to get around before your vehicle arrives or before you buy a car (rental cars, loaner vehicles); insurance; vehicle registration; and gas coupons. Most personnel have a car in Italy, but driving in Italy is not cheap so it is important to have finances available upon arrival to cover initial vehicle expenses.