The 31st Force Support Squadron is the 31st Fighter Wing's largest and most diverse squadron, comprised of more than 600 military and civilian personnel whose primary mission is to enhance combat capability, readiness, and quality of life for a community of nearly 10,000 military members, DoD civilians, local national employees, and dependents. The squadron accounts for over $260 million in base facilities as well as appropriated and non-appropriated fund activities of more than $25 million. The squadron is responsible for the daily operations of two dining facilities, 171 lodging rooms, 350 bed spaces in contingency dorms, two fitness centers, two child development centers, a consolidated club, youth center, skills center, leisure travel services, golf course, bowling center, veterinary clinic, library, honor guard, and the wing's readiness, casualty, and mortuary affairs programs. The squadron also includes several distinct mission support functions that include Military Personnel, Civilian Personnel, Manpower and Organization, Airmen & Family Readiness, Education Services, Airman Leadership School and the First Term Airman Center.
The 31st Services Squadron was originally designated Squadron D, 31st Airdrome Group on Nov. 6, 1947. It was discontinued on Aug. 25, 1948 and the 31st Food Service Squadron, Fighter, Jet, was constituted on June 15, 1948 and activated on Aug. 22, 1948. It was redesignated the 31st Food Service Squadron on Jan. 20, 1950 and inactivated on July 1, 1952 to be consolidated on Oct. 10, 1984 with the 31st Services Squadron. On April 21, 1992, it was redesignated the 31st Morale, Welfare, Recreation, and Services Squadron. It was redesignated the 31st Services Squadron on Jan. 1, 1994 and activated on April 1, 1994. Over the past 15 years, the 31st Services Squadron has been awarded the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award seven times, with the most recent award bestowed on Sept. 30, 2004.
The 31st Mission Support Squadron was originally constituted the 31st Base Service Squadron on June 15, 1948. However, it was not activated until Aug. 22, 1948. Two years later, through the decision of higher headquarters, it was inactivated on March 17, 1950 and subsequently disbanded on Aug. 9, 1950. Thirty-eight years later, on Aug. 15, 1988, it was reconstituted, redesignated, and activated as the 31st Mission Support Squadron. Over the past 15 years, the 31st Mission Support Squadron has been awarded the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award seven times with the most recent award bestowed on Sept. 30, 2004. On July 7, 2008, the 31st Mission Support Squadron was inactivated and the 31st Services Squadron was redesignated. The two squadrons merged to form the 31st Force Support Squadron.
31st Fighter Wing Public Affairs Office
Unit 6140, Box 100
Aviano AB, Italy
APO AE 09604