The 31st Civil Engineer Squadron enables the 31st Fighter Wing mission by providing world class facility, airfield, and utility system construction, operations, and maintenance; fire, explosive ordnance, and emergency management forces; unaccompanied and family housing
facilities and programs; asset optimization; and environmental security. The unit trains and prepares combat ready Airmen and equipment to support the combatant commander and Air Expeditionary Force taskings.
The 31st CES' origin lies in its early days as the 31st Airdrome Group, designated as such on Nov. 6, 1947. It was officially organized on Nov. 20, 1947 in Turner Fld (later, AFB), Ga. Even though it was discontinued on Aug. 25, 1948, it was then consolidated on Oct. 3, 1984, with the 31st Installations Squadron, Fighter, Jet, which was constituted in June 15, 1948. Having been activated on Aug. 22, 1948, it was re-designated the 31st Installation Squadron on Jan. 20, 1950. Although inactivated, activated, then inactivated again (1952, 1957 and 1959, respectively), the squadron was finally re-designated the 31st Civil Engineering Squadron and activated on June 9, 1967 at its new home in Tuy Hoa AB, South Vietnam. Here, the squadron found success, operating in the Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase II-IV (1968-69), Tet 69/Counteroffensive 1969, Sanctuary Counteroffensive 1970 and the Southwest Monsoon 1970. The 31st CES garnered such decorations as the Presidential Unit Citation: Vietnam, May 1 - Dec. 31, 1968 and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Combat "V' Device: JuIy, 15, 1967 - April 30, 1968. After experiencing the rigors of Southwest Asia, the squadron moved to Homestead AFB, Fla., from Oct. 15, 1970 - April 1, 1994. From there, the squadron made its last important changes, moving to Aviano AB, Italy on April 1, 1994, and being re-designated the 31st Civil Engineer Squadron. Since then, it has achieved the Robert H. Curtin Award (Small Category) 1996, the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award: April 1, 1994 - April 1, 1996, April 2, 1996 - April 1, 1998, Oct. 1, 2000 - Oct. 1, 2002, and the Major General Robert C. Thompson Award 2000.
The distinctive Bull emblem denoting the 31st Civil Engineer Squadron was approved Nov. 16, 1994. The blue and yellow backgrounds represent the Air Force colors. Blue alludes to the sky, the primary theater of the Air Force operations. Yellow refers to the sun, and the exceptional brightness and excellence required of Air Force personnel. The interlocking design represents the close connection the important civil engineering functions are with the Air Force's mission of defending the country. The red disc calls to mind the valor and courage of the unit's personnel, both past and present, who have given the ultimate sacrifice and shed their own blood. The bull embodies the determination and vigorous strength required to accomplish the mission.